Re: question about overriding ld.so.conf

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 10:37:19AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Looking at http://bugs.debian.org/572895 I wonder
> if it is reasonable to allow a hard-coded priority
> (the os abi tag set in a library) to override a
> configurable priority (ld.so.conf and ld.so.conf.d/*)?

I do think it is reasonable. The idea behind hwcap or osversion is to
provide two versions of the same libraries and select the right one at
runtime depending on the hardware or kernel capabilities.

ldconfig therefore parse all directories from /etc/ld.so.conf.d/* and
default libraries. It then use by order of priority:
- matching hwcap libraries first
- matching osversion libraries
- libraries from /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*
- libraries from internal path

Not following this kind of order basically makes the osversion features
useless.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73