pgettext() availability in Debian?

Dear Debian glibc maintainers,

I am currently trying to i14e[0] a bit of software that I'm writing on
Debian GNU/Linux, and have been reading up on gettext and its
associated applications and libraries.

I have figured out that I need use contexts to distinguish between some
short strings in my application.

To this end, I've created a sample .pot file and translated .po files
with the requisite msgid, msgstr and msgctxt lines. However, in order
to use the strings at runtime, I need to be able to call
[d[c]]pgettext(), as described in the gettext manual[1].

Despite having all the gettext-related packages that I can find
installed on my system, these functions do not appear to be declared
anywhere. So, I emailed debian-i18n about this a week ago to see if any
other internationalisers/translators had come across this problem
before.[2] The general opinion was that it appears to be a library bug.
As libintl.h is part of libc6-dev, I'm making the assumption that this
would be a glibc bug.

But, looking through current and old glibc bug reports[3] I can find no
record of anyone else having come across this problem in the past. So,
before I file a bug, I am just wondering if the lack of pgettext() is
intentional or if I'm even looking at the right package.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam Spragg

[0] Internationalise
[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Contexts
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2008/03/msg00032.html
[3]
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?ordering=normal;archive=both;src=glibc;dist=unstable;repeatmerged=1

--
Adam Spragg                      mailto:adam.spragg@octaltelecom.co.uk
Developer

It reverses the logical flow of conversation!

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22top+posting%22