Re: glibc's getaddrinfo() sort order

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 12:34:10AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   the Ctte may want to read:
>   - http://udrepper.livejournal.com/16116.html
>   - http://people.redhat.com/drepper/linux-rfc3484.html

The first one makes a point to which I party agree, but also disagree.

It's atleast in the spirit of the rfc to prefer one that's on the local
network.  It might be the intention of rule 9, but then rule 9 isn't
very well written.

In the case the server has 2 addresses assigned, I doubt that you're
going to advertise the local one outside.  So you're atleast have a
different response for an internal and external query.  I don't see
why the interal query should also return the external address.

I already suggested that maybe rule 9 should be limited to the common
prefix length of the netmask you're using.  An other option is that you
extend rule 2 to have the same behaviour with ipv4, and that 10/8,
172.16/12 and 192.168/16 should be considered organization-local.

Ulrich Drepper actually called site-local in the second document, but
I think organization-local would be the right "scope" for it.

Kurt