Re: glibc's getaddrinfo() sort order

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 10:04:23PM +0000, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not agreeing with the glibc maintainer(s) about wether getaddrinfo()
> should sort the results or not.  I think the current way it sorts things
> does not work at all in IPv4, and I think it hurts more than it does
> good.
>
> I'm seeking input from the tech-ctte on how to handle this.

  The point is, there is an RFC, and we put a patch so that admins can
disable it using gai.conf.

  Note also that old calls like gethostbyname still return address
randomly. It's somehow accepted that people using getaddrinfo should be
aware of the RFC requirements wrt orderings, and that applications for
whose DNS resolutions round robins may matter should implement their own
randomization.

  the Ctte may want to read:
  - http://udrepper.livejournal.com/16116.html
  - http://people.redhat.com/drepper/linux-rfc3484.html