Re: Please do no make libc6-i386 depend on ia32-libs

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 09:00:36AM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Hello,
Hi!

> Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Modified:
> >    glibc-package/trunk/debian/changelog
> >    glibc-package/trunk/debian/control
> >    glibc-package/trunk/debian/control.in/i386
> > Log:
> >   * Make libc6-i386 depends on ia32-libs (for the /usr/lib32 link and
> > for the ld.so.conf configuration)
>
> please do no make libc6-i386 depend on ia32-libs. It should be the other
> way round, i.e. ia32-libs should depend on libc6-i386.

Currently I haven't found any other solution working and tested solution, but
I am working on a better one.

> ia32-libs is a collection of 32-bit libraries which need a 32-bit libc6
> to work but the 32-bit libc6 works without having the additional
> libraries from ia32-libs installed. The "Depends: ia32-libs" will
> install more than 40 additional libraries which are not necessary for
> libc6-i386.

Yes, I am aware on that. The problem is that the modifications needed in
/etc/ld.so.conf are currently done in ia32-libs, and the symlink in
/usr/lib32 is also provided by ia32-libs.

The solution is probably to move both the symlink and the code of the
preinst/postinst ia32-libs scripts into the glibc, but I don't really
like that, especially for the ld.so.conf part.

Also I have to make sure the upgrade will work correctly with such a
situation, and also take into accound that lib32gcc1 could also create
the /usr/lib32 by itself.

> In my opinion, one of the most important reasons to introduce the
> libc6-i386 package is that it will allow the gcc-4.x packages to drop
> the Build-Depends on the ia32-libs binary package collection from i386.

This is also the first step to get rid (at least partly) of ia32-libs on
amd64. Anyway this is already an improvement as with the current
solution the gcc-4.x packages does not build-depends anymore on
ia32-libs-dev.

> The amd64 toolchain should not depend on packages from the i386 port.

Agreed. This is already the case with the current solution, even if it
still build-depends on it.

Bye,
Aurelien