Re: timezone data packaged separately and in volatile?

[ debian-volatile dropped ]

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:41:26PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:30:01PM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > But that doesn't mean that we can issue an update to a stable package.
> >
> > Currently they are mainly done for security purposes -- but stable updates
> > should not be confined to only that.  They should be done to keep the
> > system functional.
> >
> > I also think volatile is precisely the wrong place to put this kind of
> > data -- it isn't part of the default apt.sources for one thing; and it
> > places an extra burden on the maintainer(s) (who know have to track
> > three different upgrade paths, etc.).
> >
> > It would be good to hear from the glibc maintainers if there are any
> > issues addressing bugs such as: 345479, 351049 with an update for
> > stable.
>
> It's not us, but the stable maintainer, that you'd have to talk to;
> he has traditionally not been interested in these sorts of updates to
> stable as far as I know.

Well, perhaps a first start is creating the package for stable-updates;
would it be easier for you if I created a diff or would you rather do it
yourself?

Once a package is available we can start talking to the stable release
manager to see what his position is.

Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are