Re: timezone data packaged separately and in volatile?

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:42:31PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just realised that the timezone data in glibc is taken from an
> upstream database (namely ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/). This data
> sometimes changes, more rapidly than our release cycle (and than any
> release cycle we can reasonable have).

But that doesn't mean that we can issue an update to a stable package.

Currently they are mainly done for security purposes -- but stable updates
should not be confined to only that.  They should be done to keep the
system functional.

I also think volatile is precisely the wrong place to put this kind of
data -- it isn't part of the default apt.sources for one thing; and it
places an extra burden on the maintainer(s) (who know have to track
three different upgrade paths, etc.).

It would be good to hear from the glibc maintainers if there are any
issues addressing bugs such as: 345479, 351049 with an update for
stable.

Thanks,
Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are