Re: mktime libc6 bug (#196177) still in sarge

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:48:05AM +0200, Kecskemethy Zoltan wrote:

>  Recently I upgraded my woody webserver to sarge. Now I have
> 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge3 version of libc6 package installed on my system.
>
> Our websites uses mktime php funciton and it seems it gives us back wrong
> data because of a glibc bug.
> When we use date before year 1970. It seems
> to me our stable package still has this bug in it. :(

To me it seems the bug is in the application, not in glibc. time_t is
defined as "seconds elapsed since 00:00:00 on January 1, 1970,
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)", so it by definition can not represent
date values before 1970. SUSv3 says about mktime: "If the time since the
Epoch cannot be represented, the function shall return the value
(time_t)-1."

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences