Re: Replace /etc/ld.so.conf by /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf files?

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 04:08:56PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:06:01PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > IMO we should do the same, but how do we handle this transition?
> > We must be sure that /etc/ld.so.conf is updated before any package
> > which runs ldconfig and ships an /etc/ld.so.conf.d/foo.conf file.
> > A simple solution is to add this line in libc6.postinst for etch
> > and modify other packages only after etch is released.
> > Or is there a safe way to allow these changes in etch and make
> > sure that /etc/ld.so.conf is updated first?
>
> Why not make any package which ships an ldconfig conf file Depend
> on a version of glibc which will add the line?

Libc binaries have a different name per architecture, so writing
the Depends field is quite painful.  But this can be done easily
in conjunction with a shlib bump, like with 2.4, yes.

I wonder though if /etc/ld.so.conf.d/foo.conf is a good choice.
Do these files really need to be configuration files, or can
we use /lib/ld.so.conf.d/foo.conf instead?
Admins can always edit /etc/ld.so.conf if they want to adjust
it manually.

Denis