Re: libc6 problem: gcc is exiting with unexpected (for me..) error code 1

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:55:27PM +0200, ry66@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de wrote:
> hi there!
> i just wanted to install a tool and needed for this purpose gcc. so far
> so gut - but it didn't work! i got the following error message:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> my libc6 is
>
> #dpkg -s libc6
> Package: libc6
> Section: base
> Installed-Size: 16752
> Maintainer: GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Source: glibc
> Version: 2.3.5-8
[...]
> i've looked at online forums, i came to the idea of installing
> libc6-dev(it didn't work cause it asked an older libc6 ver) but then i
> dropped the idea, because it is optional package, so it couldn't be the
> eurica effect.

You were right, you have to install libc6-dev.  The problem is that this
libc6 version does not come from sarge, but from testing or unstable.
You can get it from
  http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2005/11/14/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6-dev_2.3.5-8_i386.deb

Denis