Re: future libc6-sparcv9 and libc6-sparcv9b support

At Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:36:53 -0400 (EDT),
David S. Miller wrote:
> Yes, because the optimized memcpy/memset in the sparcv9 package
> is severely suboptimal for UltraSPARC-III and later chips, which
> is what the sparcv9b package is needed for.
> Right, it will be necessary.  To be honest, pure traditional sparc 32-bit
> support is a real roadblock to progress in any of these areas.

At Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:20:50 -0700,
Ben Collins wrote:
> When that happens there will only be libc6 package (with standard v9
> optimization), and v9b optimized packages. The 64-bit package will never
> go away.

Thanks to Ben, David and Jakub,
I understand the current status of sparc/v9/v9b/64 packages.

> You guys can decide when and if to do this.

Yes, we can select when we drop the old sparc32 support, with seeing
the circumstance.  IMHO etch is the nice time to work on it to add
NPTL.  The first step is to support NPTL on sparcv9/v9b/64 - but it
needs a bit modification to debian/rules.d/debhelper.mk and so on.

Regards,
-- gotom