Re: about mounting /dev/pts

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:00:38, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I forgot a crucial detail about mounting the kernel file systems early
> in the boot process: /dev/pts must be mounted after udev has mounted its
> own ramfs over /dev, so we will still need two different init script
> even after mountkernfs will be removed from libc6.

Argh, that sucks, since bootlogd would really like to get
at a pty to, and it runs at S05. Perhaps there are more apps
like that.

Sounds like udev needs to run before everything else if it uses
a ramfs as /dev .. can't you just say "if you want to use udev
with a ram-based filesystem, run udev from initrd" ? I think
that's what the general idea was, anyway ..

Either that or udev should run at S01udev. Hmm, space is getting
crowded there at the lower sequence numbers. Should I move
S02mountvirtfs to S04, perhaps, so you can put udev at S03 or S02 ?

Mike.