Re: distcc support ?

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 08:52:07PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 20:24, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 03:30:05PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> >
> > > I notice that in debian/sysdeps/linux.mk you set NJOBS according to
> > > the number of CPU's on the compilation system.  I think that it might
> > > be good to support compilation with "distcc".  Have you ever thought
> > > of doing that?  Is there any reason not to?
> >
> > It sounds interesting (particularily for slow-arch support), but I'd
> > prefer not to see this type of change until after Sarge releases.  I
> > don't think there's enough benefit to risk this type of change.
>
> FWIW, I think that the risk is probably minimal, provided you ensure
> that all machines in the cluster are running the same compiler version.
> The changes to your code will be minimal as well.  I think that all you
> need to change is the way that NJOBS is set, and what the compiler is
> called.  I suppose that builders would run into trouble if they don't
> keep the compiler versions in sync on all machines.
>
> ccache would probably also be helpful, especially if you rebuild it
> quite a lot.  Both ccache and distcc may be used together.

Ccache (and distcc I expect) mess up the glibc build process.  See the
bug I submitted on ccache.

However, otherwise it works.

> Hmmm... for slow arch support, I suppose that a cluster with a cross
> compiler would be most awesome.

Sure.  But this isn't something that should be addressed in glibc, it's
something that should be addressed in Debian as a wole.  Motivate
someone who is actually working on buildds for a slow architecture.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz