Re: distcc support ?

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 20:24, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 03:30:05PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>
> > I notice that in debian/sysdeps/linux.mk you set NJOBS according to
> > the number of CPU's on the compilation system.  I think that it might
> > be good to support compilation with "distcc".  Have you ever thought
> > of doing that?  Is there any reason not to?
>
> It sounds interesting (particularily for slow-arch support), but I'd
> prefer not to see this type of change until after Sarge releases.  I
> don't think there's enough benefit to risk this type of change.

FWIW, I think that the risk is probably minimal, provided you ensure
that all machines in the cluster are running the same compiler version.
The changes to your code will be minimal as well.  I think that all you
need to change is the way that NJOBS is set, and what the compiler is
called.  I suppose that builders would run into trouble if they don't
keep the compiler versions in sync on all machines.

ccache would probably also be helpful, especially if you rebuild it
quite a lot.  Both ccache and distcc may be used together.

Hmmm... for slow arch support, I suppose that a cluster with a cross
compiler would be most awesome.

I really love distcc.  It can build a large software system in record
time, provided the build setup is properly designed for "make -j$NJOBS"
compilation.  I tested with the Linux kernel, and easily halved the
build time, even with my compilation cluster at the other end of a
relatively (compared to same room ethernet) slow dorm network
connection.  It's fun to watch with the distccmon program, too.  I bet
that a compilation cluster setup where the machines are an Internet away
would work fine.