Re: ld.so and "the FAQ"

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 06:09:15PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> I've just gotten a bug report (#219584) which points me to
> /usr/share/doc/libc6/FAQ.gz.  Nice, except that the FAQ doesn't tell
> me anything - presumably since I'm not running unstable (for good
> reason, apparently).

> Might I suggest that this error message (and anything similar) point
> to a web version of the FAQ or some other appropriate page?  Save some
> hassle for all the poor people who would otherwise have to contrive to
> unpack the unstable glibc?

I'm not sure what a good solution there is.  It might be interesting to
find a way of making the contents of /usr/share/doc available under
packages.debian.org anyway - otherwise this would be in one person's
people.debian.org directory and make updating it really annoying.

At this rate, glibc will wind up in testing in the next 5 days or so,
and if aj's wild plans come true, under 2 months until it's in stable,
so this is only a short term workaround.

You probably want this FAQ entry:

* errno: If a program uses the variable "errno", then it _must_
  include <errno.h>.  The old libc often (erroneously) declared this
  variable implicitly as a side-effect of including other libc header
  files.  glibc is careful to avoid such namespace pollution, which,
  in turn, means that you really need to include the header files that
  you depend on.  This difference normally manifests itself in the
  form of the compiler complaining about references to an undeclared
  symbol "errno".

Applications that reference errno without including <errno.h> (usually
by doing ``unsigned int errno'') now generate a runtime warning.
Shortly after Sarge releases, they will all break, and there will be a
mass bug-filing.  For some reason it looks like either evo or cyrus are
triggering this bug, and it's getting displayed to the imap reader.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey