Re: [2.3.2-ds1-8] libc6-i686 on that thinkpad...

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:46:41PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> Apparently the libc6-i686 package was NOT actually installed on that
> thinkpad.  I have rebooted it with a different kernel (I think it's a
> stock Debian 2.4.20 686 kernel) and everything's working...  I wanted to
> try using "fuser" to see if those /lib/tls/i686 files are actually in
> use or not, and found that they are not even there!
>
> Apparently, the assert message came from when the libc6-dbg package was
> being installed, and the libc6-i686 had NOT yet been unpacked.  It's
> install has just completed successfully, and the following dpkg runs
> appear to be working fine -- always a good sign.  I can imagine that you
> guys have had a time or two where it no longer functions at that point.
> Must be a pain after a 2 hour rebuild.  I supppose that nowadays you can
> cross compile it on a really fast machine?
>
> Ah.  Ok, I just tried to execute "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/ld-2.3.2.so" and it
> exits with an error about "kernel too old".  So, none of the stuff in
> the libc6-i686 will be used unless I move to kernel 2.6.0 then?
>
> Sigh.  You tell me and we'll both know.
>
> Is that a full libc6 then, and will it be used by all software on the
> system if I upgrade the kernel?  Or is it only if there's the right line
> in /etc/ld.so.conf?

Or you could read the package description for libc6-i686.
 Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on
 the system. This package includes shared versions of the standard C
 library and the standard math library, as well as many others.
 .
 This set of libraries is optimized for i686 machines, and will only be
 used if you have an i686 class CPU (check the output of `uname -m').  This
 includes Pentium Pro, Pentium II/III, Celeron CPU's and similar class
 CPU's (including clones such as AMD, but not the Via C3).
 .
 This package includes support for NPTL.  The optimized libraries will not
 be used unless you are using a 2.6 kernel.
 .
 WARNING: Some commercial programs may not work well with these libraries.
 Most notably, IBM's JDK. If you experience problems with such
 applications, you will need to remove this package.

I gather it needs its own FAQ.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz