need fp-less config for libc-2.3.2-7

Sorry if there's multiple copies of this email, I've tried from another
address, and have difficulty confirming it got onto the list.

I'm in need of the configuration for the libc6_2.3.2-7_i386.deb file.
I'm trying to compile it myself, but am up against problems on a
processor which does not have floating point capacity.  The pre-compiled
version above works OK, but the one I compile myself either triggers
illegal instructions (signal 4?), or does not compile at all when I try
to disable fp (not that I really know what I'm doing), citing :

/work/glibc-2.3.2/glibc-build/libc_pic.os(.text+0x1368b): In function
`__ldexpl':
../sysdeps/generic/s_ldexpl.c:32: undefined reference to `__finitel'
/work/glibc-2.3.2/glibc-build/libc_pic.os(.text+0x136c9):../sysdeps/generic/s_ldexpl.c:34:

undefined reference to `__finitel'

as the error.

I'm using such a recent version because the 'stable' release generates
compile errors related to the assembler code.

The CPU is noted as a SiS, and the kernel does not indicate detecting or
floating point unit or initiation of the emulator.  Yes, perhaps if I
resolved kernel issues the library would work anyway, but the issue is
that if I could compile it 'like' the released .deb file, it would work
(the version I compile works OK on a 'standard' CPU).

I've tried looking around the debian website, but can't find the sort of
log / configuration setting file I'm looking for.  I'm willing to go to
version -8 if need be, so long as there's a config file to go with it
and it works on the CPU.

Thanks in anticipation,

--

John August