Re: cvs commit to glibc-package/debian by gotom

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:34:50PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > > Look at the prior changelog in BenC's.
> > Pointing to someone doing something wrong previously doesn't prove
> > anything.
> OK, but what is the difference to send mail to
> bugs-done@bugs.debian.org with "This is already fixed in 2.3.1-14"?

A changelog is for changes; if you didn't make a change between -14 and
-15, it shouldn't go in -15's changelog.

Also, a mail to -done now will close the bug immediately (which is correct,
since the bug is already fixed), whereas an entry in the changelog will only
take affect once the package is uploaded (causing unnecessary delay).

Someday, we'll eventually be storing the "fixed-in" version of the
package for each bug, and when that happens, using the changelog will
be out and out wrong, so it's a bad habit to get into.

(On the other hand, there's an argument for adding a note in the changelog
if you missed mentioning a change _entirely_ in a previous version;
but hopefully you shouldn't be doing that at all. I'm not sure what
happened here)

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''