Re: 2.3.1-14

At Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:08:06 +1000,
Anthony Towns wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 06:48:24PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > 	> dpkg -s sysvinit| grep Pre-Depends
> > 	Pre-Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
> > Sysvinit pre-depends libc6.  Libc6 should be installed and _correctly_
> > _configured_ before sysvinit is unpacked.
>
> Yup. sysvinit's essential:yes, so it has to be installed and working
> correctly before libc6 is configured too. Compare with libc6's postinst
> being a /bin/sh script, and bash's Pre-Dep on libc6.
>
> > Your "bootstrapping tools
> > should cope with" really confirms this rule?
>
> It should, yes. I haven't tried it; but if it doesn't work it should
> definitely be fixed.

Yes, /bin/sh example makes sense.  Binaries contained in bash and
libc6 and sysvinit should exist at the same time.  This bootstraping
problem lies all over the essential packages.

> > > If it's just meant to be "simpler & faster", it ought to be dropped
> > > since it's less reliable.
> > Would you teach me why you think "it's less reliable"?
>
> It introduces bugs when file-rc gets reorganised (like the ones we just
> had), and doesn't work if/when we get another package that manages init.d
> scripts differently again.

OK, now I change to use /usr/sbin/update-rc.d.

BTW, postinst has another file-rc checking:

    check="$check inetd"
    rl=$(runlevel | awk '{print $2}')
    for service in $check; do
        if [ -f /usr/share/file-rc/rc -a -f /etc/runlevel.conf ]; then
            idl=$(filerc $rl $service)
        else
            idl=$(ls /etc/rc${rl}.d/S??${service} 2> /dev/null | head -1)
        fi

This place is changed simply as checking -f /usr/{share,lib}/file-rc/rc.

Thanks,
-- gotom