Re: floating stacks?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 10:25:07PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> At 17 Feb 2003 12:08:33 +0100,
> Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 12:07, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > > Is your architecure i386?  AFAIK, on i386 FLOATING_STACKS is defined.
> > > We don't change such part of upstream glibc.  Or do I misunderstand
> > > something?
> >
> > Yes, it is, sorry for not noting that before-hand.
> >
> > >From what I read on the newsgroup/mailing list archives, it is not
> > enabled by default, because the implementation conflicts with something
> > in 486 or so.
> > I'm not sure though, but I guess then it would boil down to the fact
> > that debian has no i686 architecture.
> >
> > See here for more info:
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=aljnu3%24bpu%241%40rznews2.rrze.uni-erlangen.de
>
> Yes, we are currently dropping i686 support.  This issue is i686 -opt
> package benefit.
>
> We're concentrating to fix and stabilize the various problem with
> glibc 2.3.1.  We plan to provide i686 opt package, or new libc6
> package which owns i686 optimized libraries.

This is not an answer to Johannes' question.  FLOATING_STACKS is only
enabled on i386 if you specify an --enable-kernel of at least 2.3.99;
that loses kernel 2.2 compatibility.  Debian can't do that.

Red Hat has a local patch to glibc which allows the dynamic loader to
select a different copy of glibc based on the running kernel version, I
think.  They use it to select between glibc and NPTL.  We could do the
same thing for floating stacks, or we could wait and do it between the
old LinuxThreads and NPTL.  Or even all three.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz