Re: Fwd: Re: Bug 171659 is holding back most of testing

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 08:36:51PM +0100, Johan Walles wrote:
> First of all, my insights in glibc development and RPC are close to
> none, so if the below is stupid, please be nice :-).

I try not to eat people when they ask questions.  Failure to read the
manual, on the other hand, ... ;)

> sön 2003-01-19 klockan 18.46 skrev Jeff Bailey:
> > 171659 is not holding back testing.  I've spoken with both bdale and aj
> > to let them know that I'm working with upstream on fixing this.

> What kind of fix are you working on with upstream?  Re-implementing RPC
> sounds like the proper long-term solution, but it also sounds like it
> could take half a year or more before it is done.

This is what we're talking about mostly.  Upstream is also trying to
work with Sun Microsystems on getting the license changed.

> Is there another, short term solution in the works?

Nope.  But the problem's not new.  It's been in glibc since 1994.  While
I agree that we should not release a new version with this code in
place, I also think that we should not panic and do something crazy in
the meantime.  It's waited this long.

Wish I had a better answer.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey