Re: Sucess/problems with libc6-i686

At Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:35:48 -0800,
David Schleef wrote:
> I've been playing with building and using the libc6-i686 package
> recently, mainly to help track down a Red Hat bug.

Thanks for your report. We really hope libc6-i686 package which is
currently dropped because of its brokenness.

> A few little problems I noticed:
>
>  - I think the .postinst is really supposed to be the .postrm

What does this mean?

>  - libc6-i686 contains /lib/ld-linux.so.2, which conflicts with
>    libc6.  Simply removing this file from the packge make it work.
>
>  - The default CFLAGS is "-O99 -fomit-frame-pointer
>    -D__USE_STRING_INLINES".  I'm not sure if this is upstream's
>    idea of a joke or what, but it causes massive instability in
>    pthreads.  "-O2" works fine.  "-O3" causes subtle problems that
>    I've been seeing in Red Hat 8.0's package.  (Corruption in
>    pthread's data structures.)

Ah, packages.d/optimized.mk says "-O99" :-)
IIRC, -O6 is the max valid value.
BTW, If "-O3" causes problems, gcc may have bug, I guess.

> After fixing those, it seems to be rather stable.
>
> I wish I could say that I see massive performance improvements, but
> I don't.

Preparing optimization packages is one of our goal.

-- gotom