Re: RH glibc and __ctype_b

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:29:17PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > In the RHL version of glibc, those symbols are exported again by omitting
> > the compat_symbol uses.  The both avoids tickling the aforementioned bug,
> > and also lets existing .a's and .o's compiled with the old ctype.h be
> > usable.  If you want to do that, just comment out the compat_symbol's.
>
> I suppose what really confuses me is that the compat_symbol entries for
> __ctype_* are commented out in RHL glibc, but not for __ctype32_*.
> Why the asymmetry?

__ctype_* was changed because we had lots of .a files in the distro when
the __ctype* changes happened and it was too late to recompile them all.
We had no __ctype32_* that I could find, hence I left what was
in glibc CVS for these. Old binaries/libraries should run fine (with
exception of statically linked progs) and newly compiled ones will use
__ctype*_loc instead.

	Jakub