Re: bugs triage?

At Sat, 30 Nov 2002 09:35:45 -0800,
Randolph Chung wrote:
> There are still many critical, grave and serious bugs listed in BTS
> against glibc. Should we try to fix some of them? :-)

Thanks for your clarification.

> Critical:
>     * #162551: libc6-sparc64 conflicts with fakeroot
>       Package: libc6-sparc64; Severity: critical; Reported by: Julian Stoev <stoev@iipl.snu.ac.kr>; 64 days old.
>
> This is a woody bug. BenC's proposed fix is:
> ] The fix will be to make libc6-sparc64 conflict with gcc-3.0,
> ] gcc-3.0-sparc64 and older fakeroot.
>
> This also requires that a new version of fakeroot be uploaded for
> woody-proposed-updates

Under my test, dpkg/apt does not complain. Does this still need to work?
Or should we need something to work with this proposal?

>     * #165358: libc6 2.3.1-1 breaks fetchmail/exim (and others?)
>       Package: libc6; Severity: critical; Reported by: Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org>; 43 days old.
>
> This one is about whether to provide things like __libc_waitpid and
> __libc_fork temporarily for transition purposes. We should decide one
> way or another and either add the aliases or close the bug :-)

Yes. I would like to add __libc_waitpid/__libc_fork...
However, I agree it should be downgrade or change the sevelity as you say :)

>     * #165374: =?iso-8859-15?q?Breaks_when_upgrading_to_2=2E3=2E1?=
>       Package: libc6-dbg; Severity: critical; Reported by: =?iso-8859-15?q?Per_Lundberg?= <per@halleluja.nu>; 43 days old.
>
> If /usr/lib/debug is in your /etc/ld.so.conf, then installing the new
> glibc fails. mdz writes:
> ] I would be quite surprised if this were the only thing to break in this
> ] situation [...]
> ] This bug does not, in my opinion, warrant Severity: critical, if it is a
> ] bug at all.
>
> I'd tend to agree -- this is not a "typical" setup.

Hmm. Downgrading to important is more appropriate for me...

>     * #166967: libc6: upgrade of libc6 may have broken jabber 1.4.2 server
>       Package: libc6; Severity: critical; Reported by: John M Flinchbaugh <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com>; Tags: sid; 31 days old.
>
> Someone else had followed up to say that the problem is no longer seen
> with a newer jabber; suggest we close this.

Seconded. I wait some period to listen to complain.

>     * #167794: Wrong Pre-Depends
>       Package: libc6; Severity: critical; Reported by: Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>; 25 days old.
>
> Looks like this might be a problem in the buildd setup? There's not
> enough information in the bug to say, and I'm not sure why this is
> assigned to glibc.

I've closed this bug.

>     * #169790: libc6: installation failure on dist-upgrade
>       Package: libc6; Severity: critical; Reported by: Forrest Cahoon <forrest@abstractfactory.org>; 10 days old.
>
> postinst fails when some of the packages being checked are not installed
> (I think). This was reported against 2.3.1-4. Has this been fixed?

It should be.

>     * #170635: libc6 2.3.1-3 to 2.3.1-5 upgrade breaks
> Package: libc6; Severity: critical; Reported by: Magnus Danielson <cfmd@swipnet.se>.
>
> Appears to be unreproducible; more info needed. Also appears to be
> isolated, maybe we should downgrade this.

This problem is apparently non glibc issue. I've closed this bug.

> Grave functionality bugs - outstanding
> (A list of all such bugs used to be available).
>
>     * #165699: php4: apache segfault w/ php4 and mysql,imap loaded together related to #165563
>       Package: libc6; Severity: grave; Reported by: David Raufeisen <david@fortyoz.org>; Tags: sid; merged with #165718, #165719; 40 days old.
>     * #165718: php4-imap: apache segmentation fault when starting php4-imap module
>       Package: libc6; Severity: grave; Reported by: Debian User <juantomas@moana.lared.es>; Tags: sid; merged with #165699, #165719; 40 days old.
>     * #165719: php4 possibly causes apache to stop functioning
>       Package: libc6; Severity: grave; Reported by: Michel Lobert <lobert@gompie.mine.nu>; Tags: sid; merged with #165699, #165718; 40 days old.
>     * #166414: apache: Apache non-functional after upgrade
>       Package: libc6; Severity: grave; Reported by: Tony Hoyle <tmh@nodomain.org>; Tags: sid; 35 days old.
>
> All these appear to be somehow related. Not sure what's the deal here
> yet.

...And still I don't understand what is the problem...
Are these bugs alive?

>     * #169789: libc6: postinst broken: uninstallable if you upgrade from a version older than 2.2.94-1
>       Package: libc6; Severity: grave; Reported by: Marco Nenciarini <mnencia@debian.org>; Tags: patch, sid; 10 days old.
>
> This one has been fixed. I'm going to close this bug.

Thanks.

>     * #169818: libc6: runlevel can return =?iso-8859-1?q?=ABunknown=BB?=, which breaks restarts
>       Package: libc6; Severity: grave; Reported by: Tollef Fog Heen <tollef@add.no>; 10 days old.
>
> Has this one been fixed yet? Seems like a trivial fix.

Yup.

>     * #170385: libc6 should conflict with wine (<< 0.0.20021007-1) and perhaps other packages
> Package: libc6; Severity: grave; Reported by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de>; 7 days old.
>
> This is related to __libc_fork(). The submitter wants glibc to conflict
> with older wine. Do we ever do package-specific conflicts for libc?
> Seems like that would be difficult to maintain. Seems like this really
> is a wine issue; can we close/reassign this?

IMO, introducing __libc_fork patch resolve all these issue.
In addition, I strongly object to use such a package-specific conflict.

From this bug, introducing __libc_fork patch takes us two benefit:
(1) we can safely upgrade from woody to sarge (2) we don't need to
care such conflict. If there is no objection, I commit the patch.

> Serious policy violations - outstanding
> (A list of all such bugs used to be available).
>
>     * #167909: Patch for s390 build problems
>       Package: glibc; Severity: serious; Reported by: Gerhard Tonn <GerhardTonn@onlinehome.de>; 24 days old.
>     * #169919: FTBFS on s390
>       Package: glibc; Severity: serious; Reported by: Gerhard Tonn <GerhardTonn@gammatau.de>; 9 days old.
>
> Looks like these ones are already in cvs. I'll mark them 'pending'.

Thanks.
In -6, we will get fixed glibc package for s390 :)

>     * #170507: glibc: header goofup on hppa breaks XFree86 compilation
> Package: glibc; Severity: serious; Reported by: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>; Tags: help.
>
> Carlos is looking at this one I think.

Carlos?

-- gotom