Re: install-info vs. perl 5.8

   While I have no objection to moving straight to glibc 2.3,
there is still the libgcc-compat issue to be resolved on all
of the arches. One approach we can take is to have an arch
specific Build-Depends on whether the gcc should be >= 3.1
or < 3.1. The reason is that these problematic libgcc symbols
went .hidden in gcc 3.1. So for those arches which need a
libgcc-compat but currently lack one (or simply haven't been
able to properly determine this) we can set their Build-Depends
to gcc (<3.1). For those arches like i386, ia64 and ppc which
are known to be okay we can set the Build-Depends to gcc (>= 3.2).
This would eliminate any worries that old binaries and libraries
will break on installing glibc 2.3. The only thing we need to
check is that the current INSTALL doc in 2.2.93 states gcc 3.2
as the minimum compiler but I'm not convinced that is absolutely
true and will ask Ulrich.
                                   Jack