Re: Glibc upload this weekend

jb,

> It got dealyed this weekend because I got sidetracked by looking at the
> apache bug, and also helping Carlos with the hppa stuff.

I'm seeing some unhappy behaviour during installs in all of my glibc
test chroots (unstable/testing/stable).

---
Setting up libc6 (2.3.1-4) ...
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...Package `nis' is
not installed and no info is available.
Package `smail' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `sendmail' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `ssh' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `apache' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `proftpd' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `ssh-nonfree' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `postfix-tls' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `wu-ftpd' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `boa' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `postfix' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `wu-ftpd-academ' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `slapd' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `openldapd' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `logind' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `wwwoffle' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `lprng' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `lpr' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `autofs' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `snmpd' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `ssh-krb5' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `apache2' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `samba' is not installed and no info is available.
Package `courier-authdaemon' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
sed: can't read cron: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing libc6 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 libc6
---

Haven't had time to dig.

> Note that this upload won't fix the problem.  Hppa still won't work
> (patches haven't been sent yet) and I decided that it was better to wait
> until next upload to fix the arm combreloc problems (since otherwise
> there probably wouldn't be an upload until next weekend - It's a
> binutils bug that I'll be working around for now)

On that note, I've attached _all_ the new patches that hppa requires to
build properly. They all have .dpatch entries, and will be submitted
upstream by the end of the day.

> The ongoing solution to this is that when heavily development is
> happening in glibc in the future (after they begin work on 2.4), I will
> be creating a glibc-snapshot package so that we can track problems as
> they come up.  In the meantime, the only arch I have absolutely no clue
> about is sparc.  I think all the other ones are either uploaded and
> being used or have a clear path in sight to getting there.

Sounds like a good idea :)

c.