Re: /usr/include/db1/ndbm.h no more in libc6 ...

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 11:19:04AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello, ...
>
> I have a package who used to use /usr/include/db1/ndbm.h to build ndbm
> support, which worked fine with libc6 versions prior to 2.3.1.
>
> Now, this file seem to have vanished from the latest libc6. Is that an
> intentional thing, and if yes, what are the new way of using dbm support ?
>
> I currently hacked my package so it use the gdbm-ndbm.h from
> libgdbmg1-dev, which seems to work, and am about to send a patch
> upstream about this, but would want to know what exactly is going on, so
> i can provide a cleaner patch that may also be working in the future.

You can also use the dbm interfaces in all the libdb packages (including
the latest db4.0). They are all binary compatible on-disk formats.

db1 support in glibc 2.2 was hacked in. It was never there upstream. For
glibc 2.3, we dropped the hack. The db1-compat package provides binary
compatibility, but as noted many times, compile time needs to use the
dbm interfaces in libdb4.0-dev

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/