Re: gcc 3.2.1 in sid?

Jack Howarth writes:
>    Now that glibc 2.3.1 is in sid, what are the plans
> for the transition to gcc 3.2.1?

we are waiting for an transition plan. My assumption was Jeff would
propose a transition plan for a _coordinated_ transition of glibc and
gcc. It seems a bit late for that :-(

> I am assuming we are waiting for the official gcc 3.2.1 release.

we have to. Currently gcc-3.2 from the CVS branch is unbuildable due
to the new bison-1.50 version. You can find a backport of the bison
related patches in gcc-patches or in the Debian gcc CVS, but they
cause regressions in the testsuite.

> That should be soon however.

>From my point of view we have to finish the g++ transition plan first
(and if our transition plan is to simply switch and recompile ...).
Using gXX-2.95 to link object code built with gcc-3.2 asks for
trouble:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char*argv[])
{
printf("%d\n", 16/argc);
}

Translate with:

gcc-3.2 -c div.c
gcc-2.95 -o div div.o

call: ./div onearg

prints 7, not 8.

> Are we still planning a bulk rebuild of each arch?

I did not hear anything of a rebuild of C related packages, only C++
dependent packages.

> I believe ppc should be in excellent shape
> for the transition. The only worrisome arches are hppa
> (glibc 2.3.1 is still broken there), mips and m68k (those
> two will need libgcc-compat code added for glibc 2.3.1).

Is glibc-2.3 necessary for the transition on these architectures?