Re: glibc-snapshot package

At Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:43:48 -0700,
Jeff Bailey wrote:
> Because I'm not hearing status back from enough of the ports, I would
> like to upload a glibc-snapshot package to the archive.  The idea is
> that at least I'll have compile reports and something I can load into
> a chroot jail for testing.
>
> I will file an RC bug against it so that it never goes into testing.
>
> I will update this package as often as needed to get 2.3 into the
> archive.  I will then let it go dormant until upstream starts work on
> 2.4.  At that point I will update it from time to time so that we
> don't have this massive transition next time.
>
> Thoughts?  Objections?  Whips?  Chains?

Glibc package is the core of debian's binary and its system.
My little concern is distributing broken package. The result is...

However, glibc-snapshot is interesting idea (and we may be called
'insane'). We have many architectures and base operating systems these
days. Upstream seems not to check such various archs frequently. Once
we certain the snapshot seems stable, then we can release glibc deb
without concern. Well if we release glibc.deb, then we also release
glibc-snapshot with same binary.

-- gotom