Question regarding recompiling gcc, glibc, and everything...

Hello, Joel.

I'd like to ask you a question, or if you don't know, if you could forward
this to someone that might could help me.

I'm trying to compile _everything_, gcc, glibc, make, etc, with specific
optimizations for my computer(s).

What I'd like to do at that, also, is to make the "host/build/target" set
to i386-infusix-linux, instead of i486-pc-linux, or i586-pc-linux, etc.

I did a ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i386-infusix-linux, to configure
and compile gcc, which worked. It set down all the
/usr/i386-infusix-linux, /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-infusix-linux/*, down
approrpriately, but when it comes time to ./configure something like glib
(of GTK), ./configure, no options, gives me this error:

checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host
type; you must specify one

But, if I ./configure --host=i386-infusix-linux, and compile, it works
perfectly.

How would I get this to work like it's supposed to? Debian does it,
Slackware does it. I'm just trying to do it for me, because compiling
everything I already have seen it will dramatically increase the
performance of my system, which is what I want.

I'd be much appreciated if you would help me in this.

Thanks,
Eric Renfro

PS: Please reply to psi-jack@geocities.com
myrddincon.dhis.org will definately not get to me because dhis.org is now
sadly down.