Re: Switching SAGA to cmake

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 8:35 PM Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
Do you have time to finish work on the package?

Yes, but I was on holidays last week

The CMake issues are fixed, but the patches still need to be forwarded
upstream.

The copyright file needs an update too, see:

  licensecheck --deb-machine -r * | less

I'm aware, my first goal was having a package built with cmake that actually works.

While fixing the CMake issues I also addressed many of the issues I
raised on the pkg-grass-devel lists, but not all of them.

Regarding those issues I'm mostly wanting your feedback about your
inconsistent email address use, and the libvigraimpex support.

For email, my preferred email for open source work is johan@gisky.be

libvigraimpex is blocked from migrating to testing by python3-defaults,
removing its support from saga would help its testing migration.

Let's skip it in that case.

But it needs to close the RC bug with the changelog entry for the
removed Python support to be eligible for testing migration.

Does SAGA upstream have plans to move to setuptools or similar instead
of distutils?

I will discuss. The Python file which is present in the current saga sources was actually not used by us, autotools were used to build the Python extensions. The current CMake setup does not provide a way to build the extensions yet. In my experience, the Python api to saga is not often used, which is confirmed by the fact that CMake does not have the extensions.

I think the best approach would be skipping the Python extension for now, and waiting until the cmake build includes that.