Re: Packaging lerc

Dear Sebastiaan,

Il 01/11/21 20:03, Sebastiaan Couwenberg ha scritto:
On 11/1/21 19:38, Antonio Valentino wrote:
Il 01/11/21 18:52, Sebastiaan Couwenberg ha scritto:
On 11/1/21 18:27, Antonio Valentino wrote:
Il 01/11/21 13:28, Sebastiaan Couwenberg ha scritto:
Why is the list of architectures restricted in debian/control?

LERC does not support bigendian architectures

Might be better to use Architecture: any and just have the build fail on those architectures, any new LE architectures won't need changes to the architecture list.

My problem is that currently in the list of supported architectures there is at least one that is BE (s390x). As far as I can understand lerc will never be able to migrate to testing if we use Architecture: any.

It's not a regression for new packages to not be available on some release architectures, they were never there.

Once a package is in testing on a release architectures, newer revisions of the package must also be built on those architectures. If that fails, e.g. upstream drops support for 32bit architectures, you need a partial RM bugreport to have ftp-master remove the package from those architectures, after that it will migrate again even though it's not available on all release architectures.

osmium-tool is an example of this, it FTBFS on s390x since 1.11.0 because the Spaten format only supports little endian [0]. So it was removed from that release architecture via #940635 [1].

[0] https://github.com/osmcode/osmium-tool/issues/176
[1] https://bugs.debian.org/940635

Very good!
will set Architecture: any