Re: Packaging lerc

Dear Sebastiaan,
thanks for the review

Il 01/11/21 13:28, Sebastiaan Couwenberg ha scritto:
Some comments based on a fist look.

The code base is C++ and you use a symbols file, but not pkgkde-symbolshelper.

Symbols for C++ are fragile and tend to change per platform and compiler version. It's fine to not use symbols for C++ libraries, we do that for laszip for example. With dh_makeshlibs using -V by default since debhelper compat 12, the dependencies it generates are quite reasonable.

Using symbols for C++ libraries doesn't have to be very painful, we use them for pdal for example. But you need take care of a few things, first is using the upstream version in dependencies instead of the package version. You need the following in d/rules for that:

  include /usr/share/dpkg/pkg-info.mk

 UPSTREAM_VERSION = $(shell echo $(DEB_VERSION_UPSTREAM) | sed -e 's/\+.*//')

  override_dh_makeshlibs:
          dh_makeshlibs -- -v$(UPSTREAM_VERSION) -c0

-c0 is also important to not have dh_makeshlibs fail when the symbols change as some tend to disappear when built with a newer compiler.

Using the pkgkde_symbolshelper dh helper makes maintaining the symbols file for all architectures much simpler, refer to the documentation for details:

  https://qt-kde-team.pages.debian.net/symbolfiles.html

When symbols files are used for C++ projects in the Debian GIS team, this is what we use.

Thanks, I didn't know pkgkde-symbolshelper.
I will give a look to it.

Actually I was not 100% sure to use symbol versioning for this library.

The public API is a "C" API consisting in a very small number of functions.
Would it make sense to just care about those?

Why is the list of architectures restricted in debian/control?

LERC does not support bigendian architectures

debian/copyright doesn't use the standalone license paragraph for the main Files section.

fixed

Files-Excluded is clearer when each pattern is on its own line.

fixed

SOVERSION patch is not forwarded upstream. Not using a SOVERSION makes me question the quality of the upstream project.

Patch forwarded now: https://github.com/Esri/lerc/pull/188

kind regards
--
Antonio Valentino