State of SAGA

saga has been removed from testing because libvigraimpex FTBFS with GCC-11 (#984213). SAGA can be built without it as was done in the past, but we take the opportunity to evaluate the state of the package.

Because of the unstable API and the breakage it caused in QGIS, a version was frozen and dubbed LTS. Unlike proper LTSes there were no point releases with bugfixes for that branch.

The package in Debian has been as 7.3.0 since 2019. At time of writing the latest upstream release is 8.0.1. The package should be updated to something newer, and we should consider not supporting the QGIS integration and just track the latest upstream release.

As I don't use SAGA, I'm not really willing to spend time on this package. If there is no one willing to work on this package, we should just remove it from Debian.

Johan, do you still intend to maintain the saga package in Debian? Because you didn't do any uploads during the buster lifetime you lost your DM privileges, if you intend to keep maintaining saga you should do more frequent uploads.