Re: doris, triangle, and RC bugs

On 5/30/21 10:16 AM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> Il 25/05/21 18:30, Sebastiaan Couwenberg ha scritto:
>> doris is scheduled for autoremoval from testing because it (build)
>> depends on triangle, which is affected by #988706.
>>
>> While that issue is easy to fix, the triangle maintainer hasn't been
>> active since 2012 according to contributors.d.o. Removing the package
>> makes sense because of that.
>>
>> doris should probably use its embedded copy of triangle and move from
>> contrib to non-free. Or be removed along with triangle. It has an
>> extremely low popcon score, so it likely won't affect many users.
>
> I'm interested in having the doris package in the next stable release.
> I know that very few people are potentially interested in SW for
> Synthetic Aperture RADAR processing, nevertheless I think that having
> doris in debian is still useful for the Earth Observation (EO) community
> (see e.g. the SARBIAN initiative [1]).
>

> Regarding specific question I would really prefer to not change the
> current status at least until the new Debian 11 is released.

The bullseye release may not be until August, so autoremoval will kick
in before then.

> I would really appreciate if the simple fix that you proposed in #988706
> could be applied by the current maintainer (Adam, in cc) or by a DD via
> a NMU.

I don't want to NMU a dead package that will stay on my DDPO for a long
time.

> For the next cycle we can of course re-discuss if it still makes sense
> to keep triangle and doris and the best way to proceed.
>
> Of couse I'm available to take in charge the maintenance of the triangle
> package if Adam agrees or if the package is orphaned.

Please follow up in the bugreport to record your offer to maintain the
package. Don't expect feedback from Adam, his last activity was in 2012.
Starting the MIA process may be appropriate to get his packages orphaned.

> What do you think?

Since you want to keep Doris, either adopting triangle or moving doris
to non-free and using its embedded copy seem like the best options.

Someone will have to fix (or downgrade the severity) of #988706 to not
have both packages removed from testing before the bullseye release.

Because the issue is not new, an argument can be made to not have it
trigger autoremoval until after the release. You'll need to discuss that
with Andreas.