Re: Upgrade QGIS to 3.16 (upcoming LTR)?

On 2/7/21 2:24 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 2/7/21 12:35 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>>  With the 3.16.4 release scheduled for February, after the Soft Freeze,
>>  we're unlikely to get in into bullseye.
>>
>>  The version in bullseye at time of release is irrelevant as the recent
>>  LTR from testing is made available in backports.
>> "
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=974769#12
>>
>> This is no different than having 2.18.28 in buster, and 3.10.x in
>> buster-backports.
>
> Just to be sure, in a little less 'debian speak' :-) are you saying here that 3.16 will be available for bullseye users via 'backports' repo?

On this list we speak Debian, sorry.

This is what we have for buster at the moment:

$ apt policy qgis
qgis:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.18.28+dfsg-2
  Version table:
     3.10.14+dfsg-1~bpo10+1 100
        100 http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64
Packages
     2.18.28+dfsg-2 500
        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages

The most recent LTR at the time of the freeze in preparation for the
buster stable release was 2.18.28, so that's what in buster. During the
freeze the qgis package was updated to the 3.4.x LTR releases and those
where uploaded to buster-backports after they migrated to testing, and
they were eventually replaced by the 3.10.x releases.

The same will happen, unless I get hit by a bus, for the upcoming
bullseye stable release. The qgis package in Debian will be updated to
the 3.16.4 on the 19th and uploaded to experimental and will stay there
until the release of bullseye. The qgis package will then be uploaded to
unstable from which it can migrate testing. Once it's in testing it will
be uploaded to bullseye-backports too. Just the we did while buster was
stable.

Because QGIS point releases aren't guaranteed to be eligible for stable
updates, the best we can do for users is to provide the current LTR in
backports.

For users that need something else there is the upstream qgis.org repo.