Re: Python 3.9 for bullseye

On 11/11/20 3:27 AM, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> [...]
>>> packages.  The first stage1 packages for 3.9 as default [1] can be found
>> at
>>>
>>>   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~doko/tmp/python3.9 ./
>>>   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~ginggs/python3.9-repo ./
>>>
>>> The first repo just having the python3-defaults packages from
>> experimental. The
>>> second repo of course will be outdated very soon ...  Bug reports for
>> stage1 are
>>> filed, Graham is now running the test builds for stage2.
>>>
>>> The autopkg test results at [2] need checking. There's currently a
>> britney bug
>>> which marks things as bad, and only gets it right after a week. Plus
>> there's no
>>> way to select an "unrelated" package from unstable for a test, and have
>> it
>>> marked as a successful test.  So basically you need to wait until all
>> the 3.9
>>> related fixes migrate to testing for running a successful autopkg test.
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>>
>>> [1] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9-default.html
>>> [2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python3-defaults
>>
>>  - python3-defaults now migrated to testing.  The following packages were
>>    removed from testing with fastened hints.
>>
>>    numba
>>    python-executing
>>    python-fabio
>>    python-icecream
>>    python-molotov
>>    supysonic
>>
>>  - The Python related ftbfs issues from the last archive test rebuild
>>    were user-tagged with 'python3.9', although I didn't make much
>>    effort to determine if these are ftbfs seen for 3.9 only, or for
>>    both 3.8 and 3.9.  dh-python now supports building and testing for
>>    all supported python version before bailing out in case of errors,
>>    but this came too late for the test rebuild.
>>
>>    issues for key packages (those with lots of dependencies) are:
>>
>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973056 src:sphinx-tabs
>>

> Fixed.
>

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973057 src:python-py
>>

> Fixed.
>

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973061 src:nototools
>>

> Pasted a trivial fix to the bug. I guess it could be NMUed (it's not a
> Python team package).
>

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973072 src:python-kubernetes
>>

> I patched the failures (see the bug) but then the build hangs for me.
>

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973087 src:python-fs
>>

> Fixed, but I forgot to put the Closes: #xxx in the changelog.
>

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973114 src:python-future
>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973121 src:cairocffi
>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973126 src:responses
>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973134 src:python-webob
>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973165 src:pyflakes
>>

> Fixed.
>

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973167 src:ufonormalizer
>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973168 src:pylint
>>

> This looks confusing! Upstream is thinking about it but I'm not sure what

I had a look at the remaining ones, and updated the bug reports with patches and
information about new upstream versions:

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973167 src:ufonormalizer

can be worked around, by re-introducing the plistlib.Data class.

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973114 src:python-future

disabling the _dummy_thread tests fixes these.

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973121 src:cairocffi

solved by new upstream version

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973126 src:responses

solved by new upstream, Dimitry wants to have a look

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973134 src:python-webob

patch available

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973193 src:parso

solved by new upstream

>>     https://bugs.debian.org/973195 src:python-asyncssh

solved by new upstream

That leaves

 - python-kubernetes, complex packaging of new upstream.
   Thomas wants to have a look.

 - pylint, upstream talking about fixing three
   remaining test cases.

So I'll ask the release team for a slot for the python3-defaults 3.9.0-2 upload
to unstable.

Matthias