Re: opencpn: binaries without source.

On 11/23/18 12:45 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 13/10/18 08:51, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 10/10/18 5:00 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>>> The only way I could think of this right now would if you could review
>>> the draft opencpn packaging despite wxsvg being stuck in
>>> debian-multimedia. Without input from any of these reviews I'm blocked.
>>
>> Based on the feedback you got for unarr, which changes do you think the
>> opencpn package should get too? A first glance shows many of the same
>> issues.
>
> Frankly, I have no idea. Sorry.

Sad to hear that you haven't learned from your packaging experience so far.

> So, now what? Should we continue the work here?

Work on the opencpn package should continue in its repository on Salsa
until it's ready for upload.

For that to happen more changes are required.

 * debian/changelog

   There has been no upload of the package yet, so the +dfsg
   repacksuffix is sufficient, the .1 should be stripped.

   #538067 should be retitled to ITP and #907065 should be merged into
   it, as also mentioned in:

   Fix trailing whitespace issues:

   P: opencpn source: file-contains-trailing-whitespace debian/changelog
   (line 134)
   P: opencpn source: file-contains-trailing-whitespace debian/changelog
   (line 141)
   P: opencpn source: file-contains-trailing-whitespace debian/changelog
   (line 142)

 * debian/control

   Restructure the control file with cme to use consistent formatting.

   https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#cme

   There is a circular dependency between opencpn & opencpn-data, the
   latter should not depend on opencpn.

   The opencpn-plugins package depends a manual version, it should
   ${binary:Version} instead.

   ${misc:Depends} is usually the last dependency in the list, the
   inter-package dependencies are the first.

   Use HTTPS for the Homepage URL for the canonical URL without
   redirect.

 * debian/copyright

   Remove double spaces after Files:

   Align copyright years & holders.

   Comment fields comes before the License.

   Collapse double empty lines into single empty line.

   Update Source URL to use the same source as debian/watch.

 * debian/DRAFT

   Obsolete with the acceptance of wxsvg.

 * debian/install

   Rename to opencpn.install to make it unambiguous which package it is
   for. If you reorder the packages in debian/control it will break
   (when the package name is not part of the filename, the first package
   in debian/control is used).

   Remove trailing newline.

   Remove usr/share/doc/opencpn entries, these are not installed by
   `make install`.

 * debian/opencpn.lintian-overrides

   Remove package name to simplify overrides, only the tag and
   everything after it is required.

   Don't add overrides for pedantic tags.

   Add a patch to spelling errors instead of overrides.

 * debian/patches/0017-build-handle-missing-doc-files.patch

   Spelling error in description: s/reeasons/reasons/g

 * debian/patches/*.patch

   Not all patches are marked as forwarded upstream, if there are
   packaging specific patches that shouldn't be forwarded they need to
   be marked with Forwarded: not-needed

   https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep3/

 * debian/README.Debian

   Collapse multiple empty lines into single empty line.

 * debian/rules

   Don't modify LDFLAGS directly, use DEB_LDFLAGS_MAINT_APPEND.

   Use dh --parallel since that isn't default in compat level 9.

   Remove --destdir=debian/tmp, this is the default.

   Don't use desktop-file-edit, add a patch and forward it upstream.

   dh_missing was introduced in debhelper 10.3, override dh_install
   instead.

   Why is the get-orig-source target used? The bugreport mentioned is
   not clear.

 * debian/source/lintian-overrides

   Fix the circular dependency as mentioned above and drop the override.

   Why add an override for the javascript files when they can be
   excluded from the repacked upstream tarball?

   Spelling error: s/define a testsuit/&e/g

 * debian/watch

   Remove all the example comments, and put options on a separate line.

   Use repacksuffix=+dfsg, no need for a number.

   Handle common issues, see watch files in other GIS packages and:

    https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch

   Why use git mode instead of release tags?

 * Lintian

   Looks like the build doesn't use the LDFLAGS set in the environment:

    I: opencpn: hardening-no-bindnow usr/bin/opencpn
    I: opencpn: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/opencpn/libchartdldr_pi.so
    I: opencpn: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/opencpn/libdashboard_pi.so
    I: opencpn: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/opencpn/libgrib_pi.so
    I: opencpn: hardening-no-bindnow usr/lib/opencpn/libwmm_pi.so

   These flags are set by dpkg-buildflags when using
   DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=hardening=+all.

These issues were found during the first pass, more issues may be found
next time the package is reviewed.