Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

Hi Alec and Bas,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 09:51:10PM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:

> >> A downstream patch handling a typo in a comment? Frankly: no. And it's
> >> certainly not worth upstreaming.
> >
> > It's not just in a comment, those don't end up in the binary.
> >
> > $ grep -i amout * -r | grep -v debian/patches
> > rar/filter-rar.c:        warn("Failed to expand the expected amout of
> > bytes");
> > unarr.h:/* copies at most 'count' bytes of the archive's global comment
> > (if any) into buffer; returns the actual amout of bytes copied (or, if
> > 'buffer' is NULL, the required buffer size) */
> >
> >> Seriously: please don't push this issue.
> >
> > But I will, because the fix is trivial.
> >

> Is this your last remark? Or is there anything else?

I did not followed this longish thread but only the last two
contributions and like to comment on this.  There are diverging opinions
about spelling issues in upstream software.  I personally tend to fix
these since it is part of the user experience to avoid spelling mistakes
and friendly upstreams are happy even about this kind of hints.
Upstream realises that in Debian are maintainers who care - so they will
trust us to do a good job in general.

On the other hand I admit I do not fix all spelling errors - may be put
this issue on pending for any next upload.  I decide from issue to issue
what makes sense and fits my current time slice compared to other
important issues.  I personally would not risk to demotivate a new
sponsee to work on a package by insisting to fix a spelling issue.

Finally I'd recommend some pragmatic approach:  If the discussion about
a spelling issue takes longer than fixing / reporting it the discussion
is not worth consuming the time of two people.  I think a quilt patch
might take 2-3 min + 2 min forwarding it upstream is a quite safe
estimation.  Just decide yourself what might fit best.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de