Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

On 9/5/18 5:26 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 05/09/18 09:18, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

>>> Done
>>
>> Note quite, there are no actual symbols in the file as generated by
>> dpkg-gensymbols.
>>
>> You can update the symbols file with the patch generated by
>> dpkg-gensymbols as found in the build log.
>
> This symbols file thing is clear as mud for me, I just don't get it.
> Running dpkg-gensymbols does not produce any diff I can see, the
> created debian/tmp/DEBIAN/symbols is identical to the original
> debian/libunarr1.symbols.
>
> The more I look into this, the more weird. I cannot see any usable
> symbols in the generated solib using objdump or nm. Is this the reason
> gensymbols doesn't generate anything?

You just need to build the package, and feed the build log to patch:

 patch -p0 < ../unarr_0~20150801.d1be8c43-1_amd64.build

See also: https://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles

> Isn't a  library so-file without visible symbols terribly wrong?

Yes, that implies that no methods are exported which can be used by
other programs, defeating the purpose of being a shared library.

How is opencpn supposed to use libunarr?