Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

On 9/4/18 7:46 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 04/09/18 10:16, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> There are some lintian issues that need to be addressed:
>
> Basic question here: is it a requirement that the package should be
> "lintian clean", so to speak? Or do we fix lintian diagnostics
> case-by-case?

Yes, all packages in the team should be lintian clean when a new upload
is done. Issues that cannot be fixed need a commented override.

All issues of severity info or higher need to addressed.

>>  X: unarr source: upstream-metadata-file-is-missing
>>
>> You should consider adding an upstream metadata file, to at least
>> documented the upstream repository & bug URLs.
>
> Done

The order of the fields is wrong, and the Repository-Browse & Bug-Submit
fields are missing.

See for example:

 https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/libcitygml/blob/master/debian/upstream/metadata

>> Since it's a C library adding a symbols files is a must,
>
> Done

Note quite, there are no actual symbols in the file as generated by
dpkg-gensymbols.

You can update the symbols file with the patch generated by
dpkg-gensymbols as found in the build log.

Instead of specifying the package name, use the placeholder so you don't
have to rename that field too when the SONAME changes:

 libunarr.so.1 #PACKAGE# #MINVER#

Drop the Build-Depends-Package line, it's not needed. A simple symbols
file, is sufficient.

See: deb-symbols(5), dpkg-gensymbols(1)