Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

On 9/5/18 9:21 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> Hi Sebastiaan,
>
> On 05/09/18 09:05, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

>>> Thanks - I have tested and it works.
>>>
>>> But, I stumble on the line endings, the first thing failing is the
>>> patches. And we cannot possibly have patches with dos crlf.
>>
>> Why not?
>>
>> quilt doesn't care about the line endings of files it patches.
>
> I just foresee all sorts of trouble walking this path. On linux, text
> files (even diffs) are supposed to use lf.

Line endings shouldn't matter. We have several packages with CRLF line
endings, often mixed with LF because the former are by their Windows
contributors and the latter by Unix people.

The biggest problem with enforcing line endings is when upstream uses a
.gitattributes file to change the line endings on checkout, this changes
the content as found in the .orig.tar.gz which dpkg-source will loudly
complain about. In that case the .gitattributes files should be excluded
from the upstream tarball using Files-Excluded in the copyright file.

> The question becomes what is the lesser evil: using a get-orig-source to
> retrieve the sources, or messing with crlf patches and who-knows-what
> with crlf sources.
>
> My opinion should be clear from how I phrase this question ;)
>
> That said, using the watch file and rework get-orig-source to use uscan
> to download the sources is a nobrainer.

Using a watch file with git mode as suggested by Andreas is a much
better option than the get-orig-source target in the rules file.