Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

On 9/1/18 9:17 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> So, as a starter I have pushed to the unarr repo (after a detour
> upstream to make them actually use it [1]).

Some comments regarding the unarr packaging. Consider using the package
template in the future to have a more complete set of files that conform
to the team conventions, see:

 https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/packaging.html#git-new-package

Otherwise use dh_make and fix its templates yourself.

* debian/changelog

  Closes the wrong ITP, #123456 is not the ITP for unarr.

* debian/compat

  Consider using debhelper compatibility level 9 instead, it allows for
  easier backports to Debian stable and Ubuntu LTS releases.

  See:

   https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#debian-compat

  Your package will need more work to backport to bionic for inclusion
  in OSGeoLive and UbuntuGIS. And those project don't really have the
  manpower for that.

* debian/control

  Maintainer must be the Debian GIS Project, and you should be in the
  Uploaders field.

  The Homepage field has a syntax error.

  The Vcs-* fields must point to the repository on Salsa.

  Use cme to restructure of the control file, see:

https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#debian-control

* debian/copyright

  Has syntax errors.

  Strip the ./ from the file paths.

  The license paragraph for LGPL-3 doesn't include the standard content,
  hence it's not known if it's the "or later" version. See for example:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/gmt-dcw/blob/master/debian/copyright#L31

  Use cme to check the syntax of the copyright file.

  See also:

https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#debian-copyright

* debian/patches

  Consider adding DEP-3 headers to indicate whether the patches have
  been forwarded and applied upstream.

  See:

   https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep3/

  See also:

   https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#quilt

* debian/rules

  Don't specify custom commands in the dh_auto_* overrides, instead pass
  arguments to those dh_auto_* commands.

  See for example:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/osmium-tool/blob/master/debian/rules

* debian/unarr-docs.docs

  This package does not exist, remove this file.

* debian/watch

  The file does not exist to download upstream tarballs with uscan.

  Since there are not tagged releases in the upstream git repository,
  those tarballs cannot be used. Please talk to upstream to consider
  tagging releases.

* debian/README.source

  The non-standard way to download upstream tarballs is not documented
  in this file.

  How is it decided which commit to package?