Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

On 02/09/18 18:53, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> Hi Alec,
>
> On 9/2/18 5:38 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>> Thanks for taking time to review. I figured the first package would be a
>> bumpy road, and indeed it is. Here are lot's of new tools and practises
>> for me...
>
> Yes, but once you get the hang of the tools, packaging becomes quite easy.
>

> Your email address is not consistent, in the changelog you use
> @gmail.com and in the control file @googlemail.com. Note that the former
> should be used, because there is no DMARC configuration for the
> googlemail.com domain with gets mails sent from that domain marked as spam.

I was fooled by the alsa login exercises which requires googlemail.
Fixed (thanks for explanation of weird stuff!)

> Set the DEBFULLNAME & DEBEMAIL variables in your environment to have the
> packaging tools use the correct name & email address by default. See:

Done since long...

> The value of the Vcs-Browser field is invalid:
>
>  sed -i 's/§$//' debian/control

"blushes"  Fixed.

> Also, why did you change the Section from libs to misc?

No idea what happened here, it was certainly not on purpose. Fixed.

> Also, both the binary package names need to be prefixed with 'lib':
>
>  sed -i 's/Package: /&lib/g' debian/control
>  sed -i 's/Depends: unarr1/Depends: libunarr1/g' debian/control
>
> And the .install files renamed accordingly.

Indeed. Fixed.

> Please remove the .git suffix from the Source URL, as that's what web
> browsers use.

Fixed

> The first Files section can be simplified to:
>
>  Files: *

Isn't this what I have? Or do you mean without copyright: and license: ?

> The Copyright field for the first Files section also has a syntax error.

I don't see it, nor does cme check dpkg-copyright?

> You should also remove the "Otherwise" section from the GPL-2+ license
> paragraph, referring to the packaged license is sufficient.

Done.

> The LGPL-3 license paragraph also needs to refer to the packaged
> license, since it doesn't include the full text of the license.

Done

> Have you configured the .quiltrc as documented in the policy?

Yes

> This
> enforces the standard patch format, the diffstat and index lines are
> useless for example.

Thing is that quilt is one of those tools I really don't like, so I have
went for gbp pq instead. Is this a problem?

> override_dh_auto_clean is wrong, dh_clean has its own override, but you
> don't need to delete the obj-* directory explicitly, dh_auto_clean
> already does that.

Indeed, fixed.

> You should use the common format for this file:
>
>  <Some descriptive title>
>
>  <Various paragraphs of notes>

Fixed

>   - debian/.gitignore