Re: GPXSee

> Od: "Sebastiaan Couwenberg" <sebastic@xs4all.nl>
> Komu: "Debian GIS Project" <debian-gis@lists.debian.org>, "Luboš Novák" <alvinx12@centrum.cz>
> Datum: 11.12.2018 15:11
> Předmět: GPXSee
>
>Hi Luboš,
>
>Thanks for your work on GPXSee so far. It needs a little more work
>before it can be uploaded.
>
>* debian/changelog
>
>The ITP closed in the changelog (#884253) is not owned by you, but by
>JCF Ploemen (jcfp) <linux@jcf.pm>. Have you talked to him about taking
>over the package?

I sent him email (a few months ago), but I didn't get the answer.

>The ITP also mentions an outstanding license issue. I haven't found more
>details about that, though. Do you have more information about that issue?

Problematic are IMHO csv files. (EPSG license vs. Debian license of GDAL)
https://github.com/tumic0/GPXSee/issues/56

>CONTRIBUTING.md mentions not accepting code contributions and requiring
>a CLA in the future, that may be part of the issue, and makes the
>package not a great candidate for inclusion in Debian. The burden of
>carrying patches will be on us when upstream doesn't accept code
>contributions.

In the worst case, it means duplicating work. A realistic approach is forwarding bugs to upstream.

>Once the issues with the package are resolved, and is ready for upload,
>the distribution needs to set to unstable and urgency changed to medium,
>the new default in dch.
>
>* debian/compat
>
>Compatibility level 11 implies that the package isn't backportable to
>older Ubuntu LTS releases without changes. This increases the burden on
>UbuntuGIS contributors if they want to include the package too.
>
>Consider using compat level 9 which is widely supported. Refer to the
>COMPATIBILITY LEVELS section in debhelper(7) about which changes need to
>be made for compat level 9 due to changed defaults (e.g. dh --parallel).

Compatibility level 11 is recommended by debhelper man page. Backport to Ubuntu isn't my priority now

>* debian/control
>
>The Homepage URL is also available over HTTPS and is preferred over
>plain HTTP.

Done

>Why does gpxsee-data recommend gpxsee? Ideally the data package should
>not have dependencies on other packages built from the same source,
>unless strictly required. And even in that case there are likely better
>solutions.

Prevent installing useless data package?

>* debian/copyright
>
>Packaged-By is not a valid field according to the copyright format
>specification. This field needs to be removed.

Done

>Use a consistent format for the Copyright fields, i.e. align copyright
>holders, sort by year, and separate year and name with comma, sort files
>in same section, etc. See for example:

probably Done

> https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/osmium-tool/blob/master/debian/copyright
>
>The Files section for debian/* should be the last files section as it is
>not part of the upstream sources.

Done

>The license shortname should be GPL-3+ to indicate the "or later" part
>of the license. And the standalone license paragraph for it needs to be
>expanded, the the copyright file for osmium-tool linked above.

GPXSee is strict GPL-3. (without the "or later")

>The NIMA-UNCLASSIFIED license is relatively long and should use a
>standalone license paragraph at the bottom of the file.

Done

>* debian/*.install
>
>Align the destination paths for easier readability.

Done

>* debian/patches/update_desktop_file.patch
>
>Please configure your .quiltrc as documented in the policy and refresh
>the patch, see:
>
> https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#quilt
>
>This patch should be forwarded upstream, but will upstream accept it?

Who know, but the patch is very simple...

>The Author field lacks your email address, see DEP3 for details:
>
> https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep3/

Done

>* debian/rules
>
>Reorder the overrides in order of execution, i.e. clean before build.

Done

>* debian/watch
>
>Handle common issues, see:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch#Common_mistakes
>
>Packages using GitHub can use a watch file like:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/osmium-tool/blob/master/debian/watch
>
>Like debhelper compat level 11, watch format 4 is not as widely
>supported, using format 3 is preferred unless format 4 is strictly
>required (which it's not for this package).

C&P from here:
https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch#GitHub
"My" watch file is sufficient and more readable than your example

>Regarding the upstream sources, did you notice the typo in the license
>filename? Upstream should fix that.

It is right in Czech :) Forwarding...