Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

Hi Alec,

On 9/2/18 9:54 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 02/09/18 18:53, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 9/2/18 5:38 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>> The first Files section can be simplified to:
>>
>>  Files: *
>
> Isn't this what I have? Or do you mean without copyright: and license: ?

Yes, you have a "Files: *" section, but it has the same license and the
Files section that follows it. Those sections can be merged.

Separate sections are only needed for files with a different license, as
I wrote before.

Note the content of the AUTHORS file, it mentions that most of the code
is under the LGPL-3, but some other files are public-domain, this is not
reflected in the copyright file.

The second Files section also includes files that don't exist (the CMake
files). And files that don't have license information (AUTHORS,
Makefiles & README), these should be removed from this section and
implicitly included in the "Files: *" section.

>> The Copyright field for the first Files section also has a syntax error.
>
> I don't see it, nor does cme check dpkg-copyright?

The syntax for fields is:

 Name: Value

Note the space after the colon.

The space is not required by the specification, see:

 https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#syntax-of-control-files

But the space should be used consistently for the benefit of human readers.

>> Have you configured the .quiltrc as documented in the policy?
>
> Yes
>
>> This
>> enforces the standard patch format, the diffstat and index lines are
>> useless for example.
>
> Thing is that quilt is one of those tools I really don't like, so I have
> went for gbp pq instead. Is this a problem?

It's a deviation from team practises, not a problem per se. Be aware
that other people will likely use quilt to modify the patches in your
packages.

Some more comments.

* debian/docs

It includes the README.source, and will be included in the first binary
package listed in debian/control (because it doesn't include the package
in its filename), but it doesn't belong there. The README.source is only
included in the source package, it is useless for users of the binary
packages.

* debian/README.source

 sed -i 's/walk-around/workarounds/g' debian/README.source

The get-orig-source target should not be invoked with fakeroot, as there
is no need to root permissions. `make -f debian/rules get-orig-source`
is more appropriate. Or just `./debian/rules get-orig-source` since it
has the make hashbang.

* debian/gbp.conf

There is not git-buildpackage configuration included in the package, and
hence pristine-tar is not used by default. You should add this file, see:

 https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#debian-gbp.conf

Note that pristine-tar is not guaranteed to recreate the tarball
identically in all situations, causing subsequent uploads to be rejected
due to checksum mismatches of the orig.tar.gz. In that case the
initially uploaded tarball must be downloaded from the archive, e.g. via
https://snapshot.debian.org/.

Because there was gbp.conf when the upstream tarball was first imported,
and the --pristine-tar option was not used, you need to create the
pristine-tar branch yourself:

 pristine-tar commit ../unarr_0~20150801.d1be8c43.orig.tar.gz
 git push origin pristine-tar --set-upstream