Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

Hi!

Thanks for taking time to review. I figured the first package would be a
bumpy road, and indeed it is. Here are lot's of new tools and practises
for me...

On 01/09/18 09:58, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 9/1/18 9:17 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:

> * debian/changelog
>
>   Closes the wrong ITP, #123456 is not the ITP for unarr.

Fixed. Also added a 0~ prefix to the version number so it is still sorts
correctly  if/when there is  a proper upstream version tag.

> * debian/compat
>
>   Consider using debhelper compatibility level 9 instead, it allows for
>   easier backports to Debian stable and Ubuntu LTS releases.

Ok... doesn't seem to break anything (?)
>   Maintainer must be the Debian GIS Project, and you should be in the
>   Uploaders field.

Done
>   The Homepage field has a syntax error.

Fixed
>   The Vcs-* fields must point to the repository on Salsa.
>
>   Use cme to restructure of the control file, see:

Done

> https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#debian-control
>
> * debian/copyright
>
>   Has syntax errors.
>
>   Strip the ./ from the file paths.

Fixed using cme (new tool for me, seems nice).

>   The license paragraph for LGPL-3 doesn't include the standard content,
>   hence it's not known if it's the "or later" version. See for example:

Updated (it's plain LGPL-3, not LGPL-3+)

> https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/policy.html#debian-copyright
>
> * debian/patches
>
>   Consider adding DEP-3 headers to indicate whether the patches have
>   been forwarded and applied upstream.

Not much to tell.. but it was an important remminder to me to upstream
relevant patches (done).

>   Don't specify custom commands in the dh_auto_* overrides, instead pass
>   arguments to those dh_auto_* commands.

Indeed, I had bad feelings about that. Fixed.

> * debian/unarr-docs.docs
>
>   This package does not exist, remove this file.

Done

> * debian/watch
>
>   The file does not exist to download upstream tarballs with uscan.
>
>   Since there are not tagged releases in the upstream git repository,
>   those tarballs cannot be used. Please talk to upstream to consider
>   tagging releases.

Done, filed a bug.

> * debian/README.source
>
>   The non-standard way to download upstream tarballs is not documented
>   in this file.

Fixed

>   How is it decided which commit to package?

Upstream has not committed anything since 2015, so the tip is sort of
stable.

> On 9/1/18 9:58 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>
> Additional comment.
>
> I've delete the debian tag, because the package will need more work
> before it can be uploaded.

Right, seems natural. Forgive a newbie elephant in the china store...
I also noted that a temporary branch was a bad idea.

Cheers!
--alec