GEOS 3.6.2

On 11/09/2016 07:10 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 11/09/2016 06:45 PM, Jochen Topf wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 06:36:52PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>>> libosmium (2.9.0-2) FTBFS due to the same issue too.
>>> Reported upstream in: https://github.com/osmcode/libosmium/issues/168
>>
>> The next version of libosmium will deprecate the use of GEOS. As far as
>> I know, nobody is using it and the approach using the C++ API of GEOS is
>> wrong anyway, because the GEOS project considers this to be internal and
>> recommends use of the C API. I have added a check to the code which will
>> disable building of the parts that use GEOS for versions from 3.6
>> onwards, so it shouldn't stand in the way of upgrading GEOS, but will
>> keep working with older GEOS versions.
>
> Thanks, we're not going to transition to GEOS 3.6.0 any time soon. The
> transition freeze was last weekend, so no more transitions until the
> stretch release.
>
> Because ossim & osm2pgsql also don't support GEOS 3.6 yet, we can't
> consider it for inclusion in Debian yet. Not having ossim will mean the
> removal of otb which has received considerable effort to get included in
> stretch.
>
> The transition to GEOS 3.6 will happen during in the buster development
> cycle sometime next year. Hopefully osm2pgsql has by then switched to
> libosmium and therefore no longer requires geos, and ossim has switched
> to the C API.

osm2pgsql no longer requires GEOS, but OSSIM hasn't switched to the C
API. It has gained support for GEOS 3.6, so we should be able to start
the transition to GEOS 3.6.2 after OSSIM 2.2.0 is in unstable.

Once OSSIM 2.2.0 is in unstable, a new revision of OTB 6.2 needs to be
uploaded as well which contains the upstream patches to support OSSIM 2.2.0.

Because the transition to GDAL 2.2.3 has just started, I'm planning to
upload OSSIM 2.2.0 and the new OTB revision after the packages involved
in the gdal transition have migrated to testing.