Fwd: Re: WhiteboxTools RFP

Forewarded.
It may indeed be too early to package it.
John, could you please update us when the API is fully stabilized?
All the best.

-------- Messaggio Inoltrato --------

Hello Johan,

It's true that things are still somewhat in flux with the WhiteboxTools
project. I am adding tools to the list fairly quickly at this point but
the existing tools are unlikely to change significantly in their
external facing functioning (i.e. their input parameters and outputs are
unlikely to change). The API seems to be stabilizing fairly well,
although today I added a new command (--toolbox) that allows tools to be
grouped logically. I had always planned on making this change. I cannot
see adding any additional commands in the future now that this work is
complete.  One additional change that will occur sometime in the near
future will be support for reading/writing vector data. This won't have
any effects on the external-facing API, i.e. the available commands. It
will only impact the list of available tools as I start to add some of
the Whitebox GAT tools that have vector inputs and/or outputs. A key
thing to remember is that these new tools are mainly ports of existing
Whitebox GAT tools. Thus, they have existed for many years and have
undergone extensive testing. Obviously the porting to Rust from Java can
potentially introduce some new flaws that will require testing to
uncover, but overall this is a set of well-established geospatial
analysis tools. That said, it may well be too early to adopt
WhiteboxTools for some applications as things are still changing.

Regards,

John

John Lindsay, PhD

Room 346, Hutt Building,