Re: Removing qgis from Debian

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 06:04:06PM +0300, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all,
> well, this was more or less expected, sooner or later. What are the
> options now? Should (and can we) only support qgis with all the missing
> deps through our repo? Better solutions available?
> Thanks.

Let me remember that I privately (maybe, but I had not problem in reporting in
public) clarified that supporting Qgis in
Debian main archive is quite pointless. That's due to the fast release cycle,
which renders uninteresting for users any qgis release already during the testing
freezing phase, and surely obsolete at stable release time. I use to install
the qgis.org packages for stable and unstable directly, and thanks upstream
folks and jef specifically for providing that service for users.

It is a reasonable tradeoff which could be occasionally subject to problems with
dependencies in sid, but it is preferrable to having a permanently obsolete
package or a broken program for a large part of the Debian release cycle.

Just my 2 cents...

--
Francesco P. Lovergine